Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sculpted Scenic Figures: HO/OO Scale



I used a Preiser Figure to see how I could make a Sculpy clay figure made similarly to the TV series.

I cut pieces of different colors: tan for the skin, brown for the pants and hat, and black for the boots, to pinch together and make the body.

After baking the figures for fifteen minutes in a 270 degree oven, and cooling them, I decorate them using ink pens for face and clothing, and gel pens for gold or silver buttons.

I found this to be a lot of fun, though it can be time consuming. There are so many possibilities for poses and themes, that I could actually make my own by studying from Preiser and Woodland Scenics figures.


Here are some yard workers, including Jem Cole! You may recognize the characters seen many times throughout the seasons in different locations. I also use Folk Art or Apple Barrel acrylic paint to decorate as well for any colors I can't get using just clay, such as the bandana for the man on the far right, or the undershirt shown from Jem Cole's overalls.


Here are dockside workers from Brendam. Sometimes they need to be sculpted for lifting or holding objects, such as the cargo shown, which are painted and weathered spare parts. Also for gestures such as giving out orders or waving.


This is Hornby's old baggage trolly, painted as is the spare chain and barrel. It would be smart to model a figure driving the trolly, or lifting the barrel off the cart.


Here is Sir Topham Hatt and his assistants! I modeled the hat separately and just tacked some clay to stick it on, so I could take it off in cases where he is seen without one! More well known poses, such as pointing, could be done by keeping the arms separate, then using clay or glue to change its positions, being able to make the arms stick to the body. Paper bases keep them upright, but I'd like to try Matte clear plastic so you won't notice the paper!


These figures are quite small, about 2.5 cm high. To give you an idea how that looks like, I placed on my worktable one of my Bachmann wagons I painted and weathered myself. Looks pretty accurate given the detail and scale reference? Let me know what you think.


How can you have a railway without drivers? Here are a few excited for their picture! It did take a while and a lot of practice to get the best results, such as the arms being free from the sides a little, and making the marks on the face. I'd also like to try to model the nose like the show did with their new figures from season 8 onwards.


There are a couple of drivers and firemen I designed to stand alongside my locomotives while they are running. Looks tricky right! Very easy tip:


I model these figures without one arm, and maybe have the head tilted a little, so they could squeezed on the cab-side, stuck on with a piece of clay shown.


I could have one or two on each side of an engine like Thomas as he passes by the camera for that added bit of realism I'm looking to capture for my video clips!


Sometimes I can use them on an engine like James or Henry, where they could lean out of the cab by sliding their sides down the doors with the arm holding them still, with a piece of clay which may be necessary to hold them into place while the engine runs.


Here is Sr Topham Hatt with his wife, Mrs. Lady Hatt, and their grand children, Stephen and Bridget!


Now for some passengers or pedestrians, businessman, mother and boys, a yardman and the grumpy policeman!


I also make a few props such as flags for the figures to hold. This man is the Lighthouse Keeper from "Something In the Air,"  with a turtleneck sweater and a cap.

There are more to make as there are so many figures I could model, but this gives you an idea how simple it actually is and rewarding it can be to make your own.

1 comment: