Friday, April 12, 2013

Modelling Rheneas: Part 3

Now I can begin adding more parts for Rheneas.


The brass dome is made the same way as I did with the funnel: wrapping a strip of paper around a marker and gluing it to create a cylinder.  I then glued the top to a paper square, then cut the excess. I also had to cut the bottom in the curved shape of the boiler so it can wrap correctly onto the surface when I glue it on.


Now for the cylinders. Made the same way also, with a rectangular attachment to glue to the paper underframe. Next will come the wheels and coupling rods.


Here are the wheel arches. I made one its unique shape as that on Dolgoch on one side. That was tough! Better luck next time, but since I know how to do it now, I know what to do to make the edges cleaner. 

What I love about making models is that you learn something new every day to improve model making. How to create a new shape, finding new things to model and discovering new tricks and methods based on what I find.


I thought Rheneas would look so much better with footplates, so I glued them to the side. I also glued paper edges for the footplate.


I also to decided to add edges that divide the top half of the cab to the tank and the bunkers. You can also see the buffer beams and coupler added with the buffers off, to reveal the buffer sockets.


Dolgoch as well as Rheneas in the Series had valves (All engines do somewhere!), these feeding to the boiler. I added these photos to show how I made them. Similar to the funnel, but scaled down, I wrapped paper card strips around a miniature screw, then super-glued them. I hole-punched the handle with handle strips, then glued that to the valve.


Then I add it to the boiler, with a small strip of card for the pipe that leads down through the footplate and onto the chassis.


Smile! Here is his face. Sculpted and carved with Sculpy clay, the face is then baked and painted. Eyebrows are inked with pen, and the eyes are hole-punched stickers, so I can move the puples in different positions.


  Here are the wheels and the coupling rods. As the Lego tracks were wider than a "Narrow" Gauge track would look to me (1 ft 11.5 in, compared to 2 feet or 2 ft 6in), I made the dummy wheels in a  narrower, separate scale, so Rheneas can look as he did to be in the Television Series, on 16mm, O Scale Narrow Gauge Peco track.


Here is the track I made to glue Rheneas into place, which provides weight for easier handling, and a display base. This is what I hope to use as scratch-built narrow gauge track for filming.

See this model with the original TV model!

1 comment: