Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Workman's Office #1


This is a building commonly seen at Tidmoth Sheds, Brendam, and Knapford Yards, well known for its large windows. I have been planning to make more structures seen in these locations by drawing their dimensions in my sketchbook, so in addition to the Knapford Goods Shed, here is the Workman's Hut.


As usual, it's made from Bazzill's textured card-stock paper, but this was when I began painting the paper and other parts in better, custom colors. Long pieces of balsa wood made the long, narrow structure shell bond together with extra strength, and smaller strips to glue the sides.

By the way, the decorative spikes on the gable is a toothpick cut in two!


At the yards and docks, dust and dry dirt stuck on the building's foundations and brick walls, so I used dry-brushing to realistically generate this weathering effect, using tans and light earth-toned colors mixed with the brick color for the walls.

The windows have clear plastic for the glass, super-glued to the back of the paper window panes to simulate glass. I found in the process of brushing thacross the whole front facade, the paint caught the doors as well as the window glass. I rather liked this effect, and although this building might be recently built, it was still exposed to aging and getting dusted by the trains or lorries passing by, the dust getting kicked onto the facade.


Similarly to the Open-Aired Shed, I created the roof using strips of card, cut in varying length, and glued them to be overlapped as steel planks.


Finally for the back, I have seen a rare photo of the building having only one door on this side, so I also added a drain pipe for the gutters.

I have also glued the building on a strip of card stock with a hollow rectangular opening, so I could install LED lights for nighttime scenes.

More coming soon!

4 comments:

  1. wow great job mate keep up the good work

    and how long did this take to make

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, jamesstarkey!

      It actually took me a whole day: from the middle of the afternoon, drawing and cutting the structure's sides, until the darkness of night came when I finally was weathering the building.

      Welcome to Sodor Modelling!

      Delete
  2. can you do a remake of old iron and trucks please (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are on my list of remakes. I do have to get construction underway so I can make all of the locations I have been anticipating to film. If the structures are made, that is half the battle!

    Thanks for your requests. They will be on my mind to model!

    ReplyDelete