Thursday, April 11, 2013

Modelling Rheneas: Part 2

Next thing is the boiler. That may seem complex to model (especially with paper!), but it is very easy with practice.


So I draw the sides I need first, the front and back, then the supports and the actually boiler piece that wraps in a cylinder shape.

Now how do I attach it? Scotch tape!

I place a couple of thin strips along the circle, just like the dials of a clock, then I wrap the curved boiler shape to tape it. On each edge I bond with dabs of crazy glue for strength and tighter bonding.


Oh, mustn't forget! Before I glued the band on, I wrote Rheneas' name on with gold jell pen. I think the font is too simple and large, as I now know the letters are actually yellow! Oh well, still looks handsome anyway! You can also see how the curved card looks after taped.


Next I glue the boiler on the footplate.  I need to be accurate of course, so I measured and lightly marked the lines with pencil to make sure the boiler was right in the middle, then glued the end to the cab.


Now the smoke box! It is actually larger than the boiler, not the same radius, so I made it as a separate piece, just like in real life. The tape is for interchangeable faces, which are taped on the smoke box without taring the paper.


Next comes the coal bunkers. I carefully glued pre-cut pieces to the cab and boiler. Later I will glue black fish tank ballast for the coal.


Now buffer beams and the funnel. I simply cut a rectangle of paper, rolled it to give it a curl, wrapped it around a pen of the right thickness, then gently glued it. The buffers are separately created the same way from the buffer sockets, which are slightly larger in diameter so that the buffers can be sprung.
 

 As the glue of the funnel was drying, I also added the handrail on the boiler with a brass band.


I now have the basic shapes in place, ready for more elements of detail to be added next time.

Go to Modelling Rheneas, Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment