Saturday, June 14, 2014

"Slate Quarry," Walls & Sheds


So on my desk you can see a few new things I've arranged for you to see for today... including some wooden wagons I scratch-built from balsa wood for Prince's quarry train. They have the garden ballast I use for the large-scale Lego tracks for the Skarloey Railway.


This is one of two retaining walls, made from foam-core wrapped in Bazzill Basics cardstock, and painted with Plaid FolkArt and Apple Barrel acrylic paints. I also used balsa strips for the semi-columns and the cap running on top, with strips of thicker card folded over to give the illusion of individually placed blocks.


I was also in the middle of making an open-aired shed for this scale, so it could be in the slate quarry sidings and other scenes. It will have the A-frames and roof, shingled in card for the corrugated metal roof, and painted green and weathered.

5 comments:

  1. This is superb as always. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Luke! This was fun and I really enjoyed making these models.

      I got to check out your first post on your modeling blog. It looks great! I see you gave the paper retaining walls a try! They look nice. It's also cool to see 7101 "Bear! "

      I think it's also cool we get to share the same passion we have for Thomas and Friends, and as a subject to model. Seasons 3-5 are my personal favorite seasons from Thomas too. I hope to see more of your modelling pictures! Stop by anytime, I'd be happy to provide any help I can give for modeling tips. Nice to meet you ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for checking out my blog! I deeply appreciate it! Yes, I did indeed use your method of making retaining walls. My dad had a bunch of wooden planks that were a perfect size for the project.

      It's been nice talking to you and as always, I look forward to seeing your amazing work!

      Delete
    3. Thanks man! Yours too! I hope as you begin to come back to modelling, you'll make more and more realistic models, and share the fun you have as you grow in the hobby of really awesome model railroading.

      Delete
  2. Very cool! Glad to see more work on it. I did find online that Maxitrack made a large ride on model of the Prince.

    ReplyDelete